“Does the fat come back after liposuction?” or “Won’t the fat just return somewhere else?” are a couple of the most common questions that I hear. These are both valid concerns, so let me start by helping you to better understand the procedure, breakdown myths and address these concerns. First, let’s start with a few liposuction surgery basics.
Liposuction is a procedure which removes (via suction) unwanted fat from areas of the body, including the back, belly, love handles, thighs, neck and more. There area various types of liposuction:
- Traditional Liposuction
- Ultrasound-Assisted VASER Liposuction
- Laser Liposuction or SmartLipo
- Power Assisted Liposuction
- Tumescent Liposuction
The type of procedure that works best for you is as unique as you are! In general, the Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Institute favors Ultrasound-Assisted HD VASER Liposuction. However, during your initial consultation Dr. Mowlavi will perform a thorough evaluation to calculate a custom surgical plan tailored to your body and the results that you desire.
How Do I Keep Fat From Returning After Liposuction?
There are several elements, pre- and post-op, that can prevent fat return after liposuction. The most important of these is your surgeon’s experience and skill at performing liposuction. Therefore, it is crucial that your surgeon possesses an expert understanding of the areas of fat accumulation or the regions of the body which are most conducive to fat removal and micro etching.
There are a few things to consider about fat return after liposuction:
- Weight gain: If you do not maintain your ideal weight, then it is possible to gain in areas that still have fat left behind.
- Trouble spots: Certain areas of your body like to hold onto fat more stubbornly.
- Lifestyle: Patients cannot consider liposuction a band-aid or fix for unhealthy habits.
- Skin Redundancy: Excess skin can create unattractive lumps and bumps after fat is removed through a liposuction procedure.
VASER HD Liposuction has the added benefit of allowing Dr. Mowlavi to contour around specific muscles. Because of this, instead of an overall slimming, a ‘cut’ or ‘ripped’ look once only reserved for top athletes and fitness models is achieved for everyone!
How To Prevent Fat Return after Liposuction
Here is how we proactively help our patients maintain results and prevent fat return after their liposuction procedure:
- Weight gain: We evaluate your entire body to recommend that you address ALL areas of excess fat, simultaneously. This ensures that if you gain weight, you will gain it uniformly as there will be no areas of concentrated fat cells remaining.
- Trouble spots: VASER liposuction removes fat cells completely so that if you do gain some weight, you will observe minimal gains in body girth, as there will be almost no fat deposits left behind
- Lifestyle: At our Orange County HD Lipo Center, we are dedicated to ensuring that patients maintain a physically active lifestyle. This means maintaining your weight or (often) becoming more fit after surgery.
- Skin Redundancy: Our Perfect Change Program reviews your entire cosmetic surgery needs and will identify if excess skin might be an issue post surgery. If this is the case, we can include an additional tucking procedure in your plan.
The Best Liposuction Results Begin at the Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Institute
Nothing will confirm more that you are on the right path for a liposuction procedure than a face-to-face consultation with Dr. Mowlavi and his team. Next, we will walk you through the research, discuss your options, and figure out the right plan for you. Many of our Laguna and Newport Beach clientele consider VASER Lipo their kick-starter to living a healthier lifestyle.