Brazilian Butt Lifts (BBL’s) are much safer now then ever. BBL safety has been compromised by the risk of fat emboli which describes how fat can get into gluteal veins located under the gluteus maximus muscle over the central buttock.
Once the fat gets into these veins, it can travel to the lungs resulting in a pulmonary emboli. Fortunately, at our center, we minimize the risk for fat emboli buy avoiding injection of fat into or under the muscle. This is accomplished by using our “SCUBA” protocol which stands for “Safe California Ultrasound Assisted Buttock Augmentation”.
The SCUBA protocol describes use of high resolution ultrasound to visualize fat grafting live as the fat is injected into the buttock. As such, avoidance of intramuscular or submuscular fat grafting is confirmed, thus minimizing risk of fat emboli. If you are considering a BBL, we urge you to demand ultrasound assisted visualization of your fat grafting in order to avoid risk of fat emboli.
It is recommended not to gain weight prior to a Brazilian Butt Lift procedure for several reasons.
Gaining weight means increasing the size of your fat cells as they don’t grow more in number; the fat cell only get bigger. This fact means that gaining weight will only negatively impact their viability during the harvest and injection process because the fat cells can get injured while they are traveling through the small holes located at the tip of the liposuction rods used to remove and inject your fat.
In general, we recommend that you should be at your “comfort weight” before undergoing a BBL procedure. Your comfort weight is the weight that you are comfortable maintaining. Trying to gain weight before or planning to lose weight after could jeopardize your final results.
Sciatica refers to pain along the back of the leg that occurs following compression or irritation to the sciatic nerve. When undergoing a Brazilian Buttock Augmentation, the most common cause of sciatica is from compression to the nerve. This occurs following larger volume transfer of fat to the buttocks such that the buttock region is tight and creating unnecessary pressure on the nerve that lies in the deep aspect of the gluteus maximums muscle.
This can be avoided by keeping total volumes of fat transfer to less than 1000cc per side. Sciatica caused by nerve irritation is even less common as it requires direct touching of the nerve with the cannula used to inject the fat cells. At our center, we have developed safety protocols that employ high resolution ultrasound visual guidance of injected fat thus avoiding intramuscular or submuscular placement of fat. In summary, using our protocols, sciatica can be avoided with BBLs.
Uneven liposuction results from residual fat left behind following traditional liposuction. There are many reasons why residual fat would be left behind following traditional liposuction.
The first reason, is that the provider was not experienced resulting in asymmetric removal of fat. Usually, if you are right hand dominant, you will perform more aggressive liposuction of the right side that is closer to you than the contralateral side which is farther away from you.
Another reason is if you have had liposuction previously and have developed scar tissue. This scar tissue is difficult to get out using traditional techniques. Finally, residual fat will be left behind because the traditional liposuction cannulas are not effective in removing the superficial fat.
You will require revision liposuction of any areas where residual fat was left behind. The definitive correction for liposuction deformities requires the advanced technology of ultrasound assisted VASER liposuction. As an official trainer of VASER liposuction, I encounter suboptimal liposuction outcome referrals weekly. VASER liposuction has been the only modality that has consistently corrected liposuction caused deformities, ensuring a smooth contour regardless of severity of contour irregularities by virtue of being able to remove any and all remaining fat comprehensively and uniformly.
Finally, when skin redundancy irregularities are observed, Renuvion technology can be simultaneously applied to tighten your skin to optimize your overall contour outcome.
We recommend all patients to be at their “comfort weight” before surgery – that is, the weight you are able to easily maintain based on your lifestyle. You should not artificially lose any weight prior to surgery and if this weight loss is not permanent and you gain it after surgery, you could potentially negate all of your gains.
In summary, we recommend that you have surgery at your comfort weight which will be stable for life so that the changes you make are permanent.
We ask all of our patients to quit smoking entirely before surgery and throughout their recovery. Liposuction alone will compromise the blood flow to the skin by virtue of the liposuction rod traversing through the soft tissues back and forth a thousand times.
The nicotine in cigarettes can further compound this vascular compromise because it constricts the small vessels that live in the skin. If blood flow is compromised, the skin is in danger of taking a hit. As such, cigarette smoking should be avoided as early as one month prior to and two weeks following surgery. In contrast, marijuana is considered a vasodilator, which means it will actually dilate the small vessels in the skin.
Unfortunately, following 360 liposuction or circumferential body contouring, the small vessels through the body are universally irritated and leaky. By compounding this side effect with marijuana after surgery, there is a theoretical risk of having blood vessels that are now too leaky resulting in unnecessary blood loss.
In addition, smoking marijuana following surgery will alter your state of mind and may affect your judgement following surgery especially when you consider that you have received general anesthesia which is by itself will affect your decision making.
A High Definition BBL is safe after silicone implants and can be protective of them extruding if the fat is layered superficially to pad the silicone implants from making their way out. We only use VASER liposuction for the harvest of your fat cells due to the improved fat volumes and fat cell survivability.
High definition liposuction will create incredible lower body contours. One of the biggest requests from females is creating a Thigh Gap. This requires very strategic surgical planing, VASER liposuction and Renuvion skin tightening. Depending on the amount of skin redundancy, a thigh lift will be performed simultaneously with HD Liposuction to create the ideal lower body contour.
The Gold Standard for superior liposuction results requires use of the advanced technology of ultrasound assisted VASER liposuction. As an official trainer of VASER liposuction, I perform full body liposuction cases every week. VASER liposuction has been the only modality that has consistently resulted in outstanding liposuction outcomes. VASER liposuction ensures a smooth contour regardless of degree of excess fat by virtue of being able to remove any and all remaining fat comprehensively and uniformly. If skin redundancy is observed, Renuvion technology can be simultaneously applied to tighten your skin to optimize your overall contour outcome. If excess skin redundancy is observed, we can perform a simultaneous mini tuck as well.
Incredible waistline and female silhouette shaping is achieved through the use of VASER HD Liposuction BBLs. The optimal BBL outcomes are achieved with: 1) use of VASER liposuction to harvest the fat from problems areas (in your case it would be the hips), 2) a closed looped system such as Puregraft to process the fat, and 3) strategic micro-packet transplant technique. These three processes have demonstrated over 95% fat graft take. This means that your results will be stable as long as you maintain your weight. As an official VASER trainer, I am routinely referred unhappy BBL patients. One of the most common reasons for disgruntled BBL patients is that patients are not able to accurately communicate their desired buttocks goals to their surgeons. A buttocks assessment tool can be an invaluable tool to communicate to your surgeon the exact buttocks size and shape you are desiring.
The Gold Standard for superior liposuction results requires use of the advanced technology of ultrasound assisted VASER liposuction. As an official trainer of VASER liposuction, I perform full body liposuction cases every week. VASER liposuction has been the only modality that has consistently resulted in outstanding liposuction outcomes. VASER liposuction ensures a smooth contour regardless of degree of excess fat by virtue of being able to remove any and all remaining fat comprehensively and uniformly. If skin redundancy is observed, Renuvion technology can be simultaneously applied to tighten your skin to optimize your overall contour outcome.
The buttocks assessment tool is a figurative survey tool that allows you to choose the exact shape and volume of buttocks cheeks desired. It allows you to define the lateral prominence size and position desired on your buttocks cheek as well projection located over the central buttocks. Figures were created with the waist kept constant but the buttocks size and shape altered in order to determine each patient’s desired preferences. Dr. Mowlavi has been able to consistently deliver desired buttocks shapes and sizes to patients treated from around the world using the buttocks assessment tool.
This is a very important question since most patients struggle with conveying to their surgeon exactly the buttocks size and shape. As a specialized center for high definition liposuction and Brazilian buttocks lift (BBL) surgeries, we see unhappy BBL patients weekly. The two most common complaints are that patients did not get adequate buttocks cheek volumes and the second complaint is that the buttocks shape was not created to the likening of the patient. The reason why adequate volumes of buttocks cheek are not routinely attained include:
1) Inadequate fat volume harvest with use of traditional liposuction. Instead, VASER liposuction allows for harvest of both the deep and superficial fat which results in 40 % more volume on average than other liposuction modalities.
2) Fat volume that is reduced in viability since it has been injured in the fat removal process. For example, with traditional liposuction, the semi-solid fat is drilled using liposuction cannulas. Another example is Laser or Smart liposuction, where a laser beam literally pierces the fat in the melting process. In contrast, the Vaser ultrasound gently tickles the fat cells into single cells without injuring the outer cell membrane. As a result, the fat cells provide near 90 % viability when transferred to the buttocks.
The benefits of Vaser liposuction include 90 plus percent graft take to the buttocks. As such, what you see right after surgery is what you are going to keep with respect to shape and volume. This is why Dr. Mowlavi has created the Buttocks assessment tool which allows you to convey to him exactly the buttocks shape and volume you are desiring.
The answer is absolutely not.
The reason that a 60% buttock volume retention is published on the internet is because most techniques used to harvest the fat graft are suboptimal. For example, the added force required to harvest fat cells with traditional liposuction techniques results in unnecessary damage to the fat cells. Another example, involves use of the Laser liposuction technique(marketed as Smart Liposuction) that results in directly piercing the fat cells. As a result, it is not unreasonable to appreciate why a 60% volume retention is published on the internet.
Instead, the Ultrasound energy of Vaser liposuction gently loosens the fat cells so that they can be siphoned off with minimal trauma. This results in 90 plus % viability of the fat cells. This means that what you see is what you get permanently.
Vaser liposuction is superior to Smart Liposuction for multiple reasons that including:
- Vaser liposuction provides superior fat removal ability. This is evident in the numerous Smart Liposuction patients that have undergone revision Vaser liposuction at our center. If you are at all not convinced of this fact, we urge you to compare Smart Liposuction before and after results with our gallery.
- Vaser liposuction is the only liposuction modality that can provides uniform and comprehensive removal of both the deep fat and superficial fat that is critical to achieving high definition liposuction results including abdominal etching.
- Vaser liposuction provides for over 90% fat viability which means you can be ensured maximally optimized Brazilian buttocks lift results. This is because Vaser liposuction utilizes ultrasound waves to tickle (emulsify or melt) the fat cells off of their fat clusters. This emulsification process allows for the fat cells to gently fall off the cluster and be sucked up with single cell fat cells into the cannula. This is in contrast to Smart Liposuction which utilizes a Laser to literally drill the fat cells when attempting to melt the fat cells. The analogy I use for my patients is a cluster of grapes on the vine. Vaser liposuction will gently shake the single grapes off of the cluster, whereas Laser liposuction will literally smush the grapes. As you might conclude drilling or smushing the fat cell is going to result in fat cell injury and death.
Vaser liposuction is a revolutionary technology using Ultrasound assisted energy that is able to melt both the deep and superficial layers of fat. Following melting of the fat, the fat cells are then siphoned out using liposuction cannulas. This is quite different than traditional liposuction which uses liposuction cannulas to literally drill out the fat cells. The fact that the fat is first melted prior to being suctioned allows for several advantages over traditional liposuction and these include:
- Ability to remove fat from both the deep and superficial layer and not just the deep layer which is the limitation of traditional liposuction.
- Ability to achieve transformative, i.e. jaw dropping, results and not just improved results that are observed following traditional liposuction.
- Ability to lessen irritation to vascular (artery and vein) structures and sensory nerves by virtue of a more gentle fat evacuation siphoning action rather than piercing action observed during traditional liposuction.
- Avoid contour irregularities such as divots and lumps observed following traditional liposuction. The reason for this is that the fat is being melted into a liquid consistency which intuitively settles uniformly (like pouring olive oil into a cooking pot; the liquid will be smooth without any irregularities.